Where to Find Customers As a New Insurance Agent
Finding clients as a new insurance agent can be challenging. Here are 5 tips to make your lead generation goals easier and more effective.
Acquiring clients is one of the biggest challenges facing new agents and there are dozens and dozens of suggested approaches.
How do you know what works for others will work best for you? You don’t—which is why it is important to explore many options and strategies until you find what works!
5 Tips for Generating New Insurance Client Leads
Learn How to Market Yourself
What you say during the first interaction with your prospects can have more influence on your success than you might think. It sets the stage for all future interactions. Look and act professional and learn how to promote yourself.
Determine what sets you apart from your competition and use that edge when prospecting for clients. Be persistent and know your products. Network with other agents and hold seminars, coffees meetups, and dinners where you can meet and greet prospective clients.
Join an Insurance Cluster or Network
An insurance cluster or network is a formal association of insurance agencies established to provide members with mutual support and group benefits, while remaining independent agents.
Clusters provide tools, training, and resources to help you get started with your sales and business. Network membership benefits include (but are not limited to):
- Access to multiple (often hard to obtain and desirable) carrier markets
- Enhanced commission structures and profit sharing plans
- Sales and marketing support to help with acquisitions and conversions
Utilize Technology and Social Media
In today’s market, it is important to have a web presence that represents your agency and clearly states your marketing message and branding.
Use social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Yelp, and Instagram and consider online advertising to expand your reach (like Facebook Ads and PPC programs), which can work very well. Make sure you pay attention to online reviews and always respond to negative comments in a professional manner.
Embracing technology not only saves you countless hours, is also provides free or low-cost options for client engagement.
Create a Customer Referral Program
Referrals can be the best way to solicit new clients. Create a program that will encourage your existing clients to refer their friends and family to your agency. When you acquire a new client, send a thank you letter and a small giveaway (like a keychain or pen) to welcome them to the agency. Provide an information packet about your agency, your “Referral Program” and 4 or 5 business cards for them to hand out.
Decide what your referral program will look like. Some ideas include:
- Monthly drawings with giveaways for things like movie tickets, restaurant, or spa gift certificates or lower-budget items like recognition on your website or social media sites
- Small gift cards ($5-$10) to local establishments like coffee shops, gift stores, and other small businesses
- Lottery tickets or scratch cards
Focus on Traditional Lead Generation Techniques
Traditional methods for generating leads still work very well and there are several options to choose from, including:
- Telemarketing (in-house cold calling or hire an agency)
- Purchase lists (emails, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, etc.)
- Direct marketing mailings (postcards, newsletters, etc.)
- Invest in traditional media ads like newspapers, radio, or TV
For more tips on being successful as a new insurance agent, check out our blog post 9 Tips for New Insurance Agents or if you are interested in the benefits of Voldico’s Insurance Agency Network, click here for more information.